[lit-ideas] Re: Waterboarding Bodies Mattered

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:59:10 -0400

Omar: I have no visa for the US, nor any intention to even go there in foreseeable future. Yet legislation is made in the US that may concern me. I find that somewhat odd.

In many international treaties, US law is made subservient to international law ... which I find odd. So yes, I see your point. However, those international treaties usually involve trade, product safety regulation, and similar mundane points.

If Macedonians snatched a US terrorist who had been involved in an attack on Macedonia, there would likely be some concern here, but most would sympathize with the Macedonians. Further, Americans would be asking why the FBI had not caught the US terrorist and handed him over to the Macedonians, assuming an extradition treaty were in place.