[lit-ideas] Re: The torture graph

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:50:02 EDT

The "medical term" pulls up some interesting stuff on Google .... (is the
psych use the "medical" definition you had in mind?):

"syn·ton·ic  (http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/S0971450.wav)  _Listen:_
(http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/S0971450.wav)  [ sn-tnk ]
adj.

    1.  Psychology Characterized by a high degree of emotional
responsiveness to the environment.
    2.  Electricity Of or relating to two oscillating circuits  having the
same resonant frequency. "
Then there's this (which if I can kick my brain into gear long enough to
read it with comprehension should be fairly fascinating):

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntonic_comma_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntonic_comma)

<<The syntonic comma, also known as the comma of _Didymus_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didymus_the_Musician)  or  _Ptolemaic_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy)   comma, is a small _interval_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_(music))  between  two _musical_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music)
notes,  equal to the frequency ratio 81:80, or around 21.51 _cents_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_(music)) .
It is the difference between four _justly_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation)  tuned _perfect  fifths_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_fifth) , and two _octaves_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave)  plus a justly
tuned _major  third_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_third) . A just
perfect fifth has its notes in the _frequency_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency)  ratio _3:2_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesquialterum) ,  which is
equal to 701.955 cents, and four of them are equal to 2807.82 cents. A  just
major third has its notes in the frequency ratio _5:4_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesquiquartum) , which is equal to  386.31 cents,
and one of them plus two
octaves is equal to 2786.31 cents. The  difference between these is 21.51, a
syntonic comma.
This difference is significant because on a _piano_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano)  keyboard, four fifths is  equal to two
octaves plus a major
third. Starting from a C, both combinations of  intervals will end up at E. The
fact that using justly tuned intervals yields  two slightly different notes is
one of the reasons compromises have to be made  when deciding which system of
_musical tuning_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_tuning)  to use for  an
instrument. _Pythagorean tuning_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_tuning)   tunes the fifths as exact
3:2s, but uses the relatively complex ratio of
81:64  for major thirds. _quarter-comma  meantone_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-comma_meantone) , on the other hand, uses
exact 5:4s for major
thirds, but flattens  each of the fifths by a quarter of a syntonic comma.
Other
systems use different  compromises.
In _just intonation_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation)  using
prime factors up to 5, the syntonic comma is the ratio between the major tone
of  9:8 and the minor tone of 10:9 (so is 81:80). In _meantone  temperaments_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meantone_temperament) , the major and minor tones
are made equal. In Pythagorean  tuning, the minor tone, is replaced by the
major tone of 9:8. In quarter-comma  meantone, the major and minor tones are
made equal to the square root of  5:4.
Another frequently encountered comma is the _Pythagorean  comma_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma) .>>
and this:
_http://www.syntonicarts.com/_ (http://www.syntonicarts.com/)
Julie Krueger