[lit-ideas] Re: The torture graph

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:57:16 -0700

In the old days we used to fight our enemies and not our own troops.  This
focus upon holding our own forces to a higher standard than our enemies
seems all wrong to me.  If we were playing baseball and had to get 100 runs
while our opponents only had to get 2, we would recognize the inequity and
squawk.  But we have forgotten how to fight, a fact well-known and
well-publicized by our Islamist enemies.  No guts, no willingness to fight,
too timid by far, Osama says.  And true to his assessment we anguish over
the fact that we are human, that a small percentage (as occurs in every
fighting force) is going to misbehave.  We say never mind about the enemy,
what about those of us who misbehave?  We say never mind about the people
trying to blow us up, what about the use of excessive force in trying to
find out whom our enemy is.

In the meantime, the enemy continues to blow up innocent people.  They
especially like to do that, and we say nothing in the way of criticism, but
that's okay I guess, they are saying nothing even louder in Europe!

Lawrence