[lit-ideas] Re: The torture graph

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 01:03:01 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2006 11:20:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
robert.paul@xxxxxxxx writes:

(Nobody's talking about 'fighting.' We've been talking about
the  use of torture.) Granted that there are sociopaths and sadists and
just  plain nuts in an large military force. Nobody's denying that. But
how can  you now attribute some (unspecified) wrongdoing to 'a small
percentage'  (who are disturbed in various ways) while claiming that the
sort of thing  people have here been calling into question should be our
_policy_? This  is a strange conflation.

Hi,
What troubles me is, as I have posted articles on this in the past, the
outsourcing of torture that our government is doing.

I would tend to trust (the majority of) our military to deal with  extracting
information from those who have information which would save more  lives
(and, indeed, there have been numerous accounts of our military and
intelligence
thwarting attacks which would have been horrific--see the account  in
Pediatrics which discussed how to care for children if an attack  occurred...as
there
had been capture of those who were going to engage in a  terrorist attack on
Disneyland. This happened prior to 9-11---)

It's our government's administration which bothers me--for their lack of
accountability is almost frightening. To outsource to companies 'torture' is
horrific--for no accountability, no 'policing' of their own by the military
becomes necessary [if, in fact, the military is even involved...] ... the
military has people in it all over the world who are working to make those on
the
fringes accountable.  That is taken out of the arena when this  outsourcing
occurs...

Best,
Marlena in Missouri