[lit-ideas] Re: The torture graph

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:06:06 -0400

I said life imitating art is medieval.  Depending on a movie with a guaranteed
good ending as a blue print for fighting this war on terror (Clint Eastwood
showing us how it's done in Dirty Harry), is life imitating art in the same way
that the Code of Chivalry, a quintessentially medieval concept, is life
imitating art and is arguably the foundation of Islamic Fundamentalism.  It is
arguably also the cause of their backwardness.  Maybe you didn't notice these
statements in my post because you act as if I said something else.  Is there no
way to rescue innocent victims other than killing them?  On the other hand,
these are the New Middle Ages, so in fact asking Dirty Harry to show us how
it's done might be appropriate in today's world.

Regarding the people who supported the Soviet Union now bemoaning the "war on
terror", who are you referring to?