[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 03:28:11 -0500

Walter: Lots of things can be two things at once. But they can't be two contradictory things, clearly.

How about:

I am an individual. I am part of a group. (More completely, I am individual when sitting in my study contemplating what individualism means. I am part of a group when sitting in a football stadium watching a game and cheering for a particular team.)

It is a word, a discrete entity with meaning. It is a word, a discrete entity whose meaning only becomes clear in a sentence.

It is a note of music, which means itself. It is a note of music in a phrase of a Brahms sonata, whose meaning in repetition is only clear in the context of a section of the sonata or a phrase of the music.

I give these examples because it seems that "reason" or "logic" only concerns itself with half of existence. It is knowing without a knower. To privilege the so-called objective side of consciousness is to have the recipe for a Reuben sandwich without the taste of it. Or to describe the physiology and ideation of love without the experience of being in love.

Where's the contradiction? The contradiction consists of the elimination of key elements. Eliminating subject from object is a contradiction.