[lit-ideas] The meaning of life

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:37:17 -0800 (PST)

Only tangentially related to the recent threads, but still:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/suicide/

There are references to Kant and others, but this quote struck me:

When a man's circumstances contain a preponderance of things in accordance with
nature, it is appropriate for him to remain alive; when he possesses or sees in
prospect a majority of the contrary things, it is appropriate for him to depart
from life…. Even for the foolish, who are also miserable, it is appropriate for
them to remain alive if they possess a predominance of those things which we
pronounce to be in accordance with nature. (Cicero, III, 60–61)