[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:39:52 -0800 (PST)

Thanks again. There is a fair amount of correspondence between the Omar of old
times on Phil-Lit and me, though the issues of personal identity are as we know
not simple. Speaking of drinking:

YUSUFALI: They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great
sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They
ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus
doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider-

A Drinking Song

WINE comes in at the mouth
And love comes in at the eye;
That's all we shall know for truth