[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:26:04 -0600

LH:
There really is an ideology variously called Islamism, Islamic Fundamentalism and a few other things. It really was firmed up by Sayyid Qutb and it has swept the Middle East.<<

I agree with you, Lawrence. Copy that sentence and frame it! And, of course, you recognize that people have the same right to believe in Islamism as in Christian Evangelism and in Islamic Fudamentalism as in Christian Fundamentalism. Belief is no crime. Only acts are crimes. Only those who commit crimes are our enemy, not those who cheer on the criminals (I cheer on bank robbers), or wish they were themselves criminals, only the people who commit crimes are criminals. It makes the world more complicated, I agree. But it separates us from the barbarism of people like Saddam Hussein who would kill not just those who tried to assassinate him, but all his family as well.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: Lawrence Helm