[lit-ideas] Re: FRIDAY'S MEDITATION

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:05:34 -0600

AA:
>>That's the legacy of the violence of slavery.   And his taking the blame for
>>it is typical too.  He sounds like an overgrown traumatized child. Children
>>always take the blame for what their parents do and it stays with them their
>>whole lives and is passed on into forever unless consciousness is brought to
>>bear on it.  Needless to say it rarely is, because people always think
>>there's something wrong with them (he had it coming to him) instead of
>>there's something very wrong with the system.<<

Well, I really don't know, Irene.  Norman always impressed me as a very
complicated human being, full of laughter and fun and sadness and violence and
love, not at all the robot you would turn him into with your psychologizing.
But that's you.  I prefer to remember him as the guy who struggled against some
heavy odds, who never blamed anyone else, who knew when he had fucked up really
bad and accepted the consequences of that.  I have a lot of love and admiration
for Norman.  As far as psychology goes -- it can be interesting in its way, but
seldom enlightening.

Mike Geary
Memphis