[lit-ideas] Re: The Feminine Technique?

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:37:39 +0100

> perhaps this is
> what I am looking for in feminist science fiction -- a imagined
> civilization
> in which everyone's position is: "Go to war? Are you nuts? A child might
> get
> hurt." How would conflicts be resolved and world affairs be run if, in
> fact,
> this kind of consensus prevailed?

I should add that this is in fact the consensus position upon which the
society is run in Charlotte Perkins Gilman's _Herland_. The problem with
_Herland_ from my point of view is that it deals with a small homogenous
geographically isolated society with no contact at all with the outside
world, so that issues of conflict/cooperation between nations do not arise.
MN