[lit-ideas] Re: The Feminine Technique?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:55:51 +0000

Wednesday, March 16, 2005, 8:16:50 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

PS> Well... I can only speak from experience... If I am playing a man who is my
PS> equal or better, I try my hardest... If I am playing a man who is far less
PS> skilled, almost any woman or a child, I let up. Otherwise, it's just no fun!

I don't know what the studies show re this. It is of course possible
that the women whose competitiveness is most reduced when playing men
are like you being chivalrous towards them, but I doubt it; that
doesn't fit with what I've observed in "life".

>>Many are of one mind in that they believe there are such differences,
>>somewhat fewer are of one mind in that they believe there are none, it
>>is a point (and an issue) on which I am torn.

PS> Ah.. so you are one of those that Marlena was speaking of: A or B? nothing
PS> else? Dichotomize, Dichotomize, Dichotomize -- the word's lost all meaning.

No. I am not. That's what I am trying to tell you.  When I say "I am
torn" I mean (oh hell will I ever get the point across to him?) "I am
torn". I.e., I do not hold either View A or View B. I am ambivalent. I
am not sure.

Previously I wrote

>>>I find
>>>it
(male/female cultural difference/s

>>>difficult to write about, sometimes, because I am as it were not of
>>>one mind here.

and you replied

>>Who the heck is? It's a continuum.

I didn't mean, "I am a mix of 'male/female'", I meant, "I am in two
minds about the suggestion that men and women are culturally
different.

I don't think "it" is a continuum in the sense that if X (say,
adversarialism) runs from 100 adversarial to 0, there's a point,
around 48-52, where men's and women's scores overlap.  Such evidence
as we have supports my doubt.

PS> frolicking on a humpday,

bully for you

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx