[lit-ideas] Re: The Feminine Technique?

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:08:50 -0500

>I don't know what the studies show re this. It is of course possible
>that the women whose competitiveness is most reduced when playing men
>are like you being chivalrous towards them, but I doubt it; that
>doesn't fit with what I've observed in "life".

Maybe they just naturally feel sorry for us brutish, simple men because
they know that if we lose to a 'woman' we will be forever shamed in the
anals... err... annals.

PS> Ah.. so you are one of those that Marlena was speaking of: A or B? nothing
>PS> else? Dichotomize, Dichotomize, Dichotomize -- the word's lost all
>meaning.
>
>No. I am not. That's what I am trying to tell you.  When I say "I am
>torn" I mean (oh hell will I ever get the point across to him?) "I am
>torn". I.e., I do not hold either View A or View B. I am ambivalent. I
>am not sure.

But you are sure you are ambivalent!

> >>Who the heck is? It's a continuum.
>
>I didn't mean, "I am a mix of 'male/female'", I meant, "I am in two
>minds about the suggestion that men and women are culturally
>different.

Really? Wow. How can you even question it? Have you ever MET any men? women?

>I don't think "it" is a continuum in the sense that if X (say,
>adversarialism) runs from 100 adversarial to 0, there's a point,
>around 48-52, where men's and women's scores overlap.  Such evidence
>as we have supports my doubt.

I think you would find that such evidence as we have [whatever that may be]
supports my doubts about your doubts. What those are, I can't tell you
right now because I have to go and pick up my pussycat from the vet who
made him 'not quite as much of a man' yesterday afternoon.

>PS> frolicking on a humpday,
>
>bully for you

deliberately stirring it up,
harrumphing as I step out,