[lit-ideas] Re: The Feminine Technique?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:50:15 +0000

Thursday, March 17, 2005, 5:42:55 PM, Mirembe Nantongo wrote:

MN> Many thanks, Judy, for your comments. Also to Robert for
MN> posting the original Dowd piece. Here's Dahlia Lithwick at Slate
MN> on the same topic:
MN> http://slate.com/id/2114926/

Oh yes -- thank you.  I must read the other responses too.

MN> I find this topic particularly fascinating just now for two reasons:

MN> One is my (admittedly sporadic) current reading of feminist
MN> science fiction. I have had great fun with Ursula LeGuin ("The
MN> Left Hand of Darkness", "The Matter of Seggri" etc) and Charlotte
MN> Perkins Gilman ("Herland"). I have the two collections recommended
MN> by Cathy in hand and look forward to those. The question in my
MN> mind was: how different would things be civilizationally if women
MN> designed the context?

I tend to be rather rude about the idea that "more women in politics"
would change things for the better -- there is a literature on that,
yes... but your question is more cosmic.

MN> It's all fascinating reading, I must say, although am still
MN> hoping to run into someone who tackles more contemporary global
MN> issues (eg competition between states/ideologies) in the same
MN> framework. Deborah Tannen's piece fed into this hope,
MN> tangentially, which is why I bring up all this.

I can't actually recommend work now except for (grits teeth, hisses) Jean
Elshtain's (War, IR; Jean Elshtain, who believes women are nicer, has
it in for me, I tell you joyously and snidely, and I am not that mad
keen on her middle/later work).  But that's only because I'm in a
rush.  I can recommend (or at least, name) the main feminist IR
writers, and will try to post something about it tomorrow. Also you
should look at Carol Gilligan (but, sceptically...).

MN> And the reason I was struck by Deborah Tannen's piece is that
MN> she seemed to be articulating this very difference, but, oddly
MN> enough, between male & female opinion writers in the US, rather
MN> than between Arab & US opinion writers!

Interesting. In a sense, the comparative studies bear out what you
say, in that, differences between cultures on,say, verbal aggression,
can be greater than sex differences within them. But I don't know of
any work on actual writing styles across culture -- yes, interesting
-- I must have a look.

Those sick of hearing me whine
MN> about how tough Arabic is

I'm just sick of being jealous that you're feasting on mutton and
couscous...  -- it's been a nasty winter here..

MN>  should circle May 31 on their calendar
MN> -- the day of my final exam!!

Oh -- at first I misread that as March 31 and was happy for you -- oh
well, it isn't that long, I suppose.  I don't think I could learn
Arabic now, it really is too difficult, I may take the easy option
(easy given my background) and learn Welsh.

and now I must rush; I meant to say something about the adversarial
legal tradition in the US and UK, tomorrow?

Judy

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx