[lit-ideas] Re: The Education of a Swain

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 07:29:13 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/2009 6:43:25 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx  writes:

re:

"doc"

"trucker"

and other  epithets.

>those (nearly all men) who believe that they are a  gender trapped in body
with the wrong >genitals

Good point. Not me,  of course. But I would be serious about the 'belief'.

Is McEvoy assuming  _wrongly_ believe? Because in matters of
non-essentialist queer theory (alla  Sedgwick), no such things: 'bodies don't
really
matter'. So I wouldn't call it a  'dysfunction'. Ditto for Michael Jackson, or
those who believe they are race  trapped in the body with the wrong race
('oreo', black outside, white inside).  Or that irreverent grandmother who is
age-trapped in a body with the wrong  'teens', and thinks she is one as she
squeaze into them.

-----

If  'wrongly' is taken serious, they become transsexual. Jean Morris, the
renowed  Oxford author being one of them. There may be others. With celeb you
never know  for sure.

Cheers,

JL

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!