[lit-ideas] Re: The Education of a Swain

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:43:43 -0230

Ursula's initial position was perfectly clear to me and her further explanation
of that position only confirmed that clarity. Go forth and prosper, Ursula. The
only difference in our pedagogical approaches is the metaphor used to describe
the event. Ursula speaks of "waking up" while I speak of Socratic seduction in
the pub(lic) space of reasons. A Symposium requires nothing else. And for the
etymological mysteries of the term "symposium" I must defer to Jl.

Walter O
MUN

P.S. "She tore his argument to shreds. It had never happened to him before. He
felt helpless and profoundly insecure as a result. He recognized that she saw
things that he had never seen before. He contemplated the possibility of simply
ignoring it, but soon realized she had access to a world of learning and
understanding that he never dreamt of before. Oddly, he felt that this
intellectual experience was so personal and private that it bordered on the
sexual. But at the very moment when he made the connection between the sexual
and the intellectual, he realized he had to change his views on both of those.
He was no longer the thinker and sexual agent he had been prior to her
interventions.  He realized that Alcibiades was right all along. How to live
tomorrow was the question." Anonymous.

Cheers, Walter