[lit-ideas] The Education of a Swain

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:50:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2009 9:44:26 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
> .........In particular,  the suuggestion about areas of study
> centered on a particular issue  strikes me as very doable and
> worthwhile.

-----

No. Not 'swine'.

Anyway, isn't issue-centrered what  every responsible student does?

If I enrol in a philosophy programme, I  know what my priorities are. I do
not need an officer at an uni to tell me. I  may need _advice_. But the
freer the programme, it has always been understood  that it's up to the learner
and the learner only to _learn_.

People  misjudge academia because they think learners only learn from
teachers! In  German it's the more confusing, seeing that 'lehrer' _is_
teacher.
And cfr.  "Wind in the Willows":

"Learn me to swim, that's what  I like!"

-- i.e. teach me to swim. Dialect.

Cheers,

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!