[lit-ideas] Re: The Education of a Swain

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:44:40 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/2009 5:10:54 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
In neither context do I feel  or believe
compelled to accept "full" responsibility for what my students do  or do not
learn.

---

Which is just as well!

For, as  Witters wrote ("Other Minds") how would _YOU_ know anyways?

----- "Well,  by asking questions".

Nonsequitur.

Grice gives this  example:

A: When was the Battle of  Waterloo
B: 1811.

By saying '1811' the student  _means_ that he knows that the Battle of
Waterloo was fought in 1811. Nonsense!  It's just a move in the conversational
game!

Only a MADAMA can take full  responsibility for the total learning of her
swain!

---- But Wager also  notes, "UNLEARNING", and that's very interesting. The
general public minimises  the role of UNLEARNING in philosophy and academia
in general. Why, that's what  Plato spent his life in! "Unlearning" the
'silly' meaning that silly people  ('the many', he called them) give to things
like 'just', 'fair' and  'unequal'.

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!