[lit-ideas] Re: The Causal Theory of Perception

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 09:44:52 -0500 (EST)

I see that the black cat is on the red mat.
---- Therefore, the black  cat is on the red mat
----- and the black cat's being on the red mat accounts  for my seeing the
black cat is on the red mat.

Grice holds this is 'analytic' (after all, it IS an 'analysis' of "I see
that"); McEvoy seems to hold it's synthetic.

McEvoy adds to the 'problem' of perception (as Witters would call it: "I
call things problems," Witters says, "so people can see me as solving them")
the  idea of problem-solving, or as I and Lloyd Morgan prefer, trial and
error.

"Trial" is a compound of 'try', as in:

I try to see that the black cat is on the mat.

and

I error when I see that the black cat is on the red mat: the red cat is on
the black mat, as it happens.

Adding O. K.'s examples, we have:

I hallucinate that the black cat is on the red mat.

I have an illusion to the effect that the black cat is on the red mat
(Argument from Illusion).

I have a disillusion to the effect that the red cat is on the black mat
(Geary's Argument from Disillusion).

As O. K. writes:

"Austin in Sense and Sensibilia makes the point about Ayer's loose usage of
 'illusion' and 'delusion', frequently making it sound as if they were
interchangeable."

So we should add:

I'm deluded that the black cat is on the red mat.

In this case, a first-person vs. third-seems helpful:

He's deluded that the black cat is on the red mat

ENTAILS

The black cat is NOT on the red mat (It's his dilusion).

However, as G. E. Moore pointed out,

"The black cat is on the red mat but I am deluded"

seems harder to accept.

(vide Geary, "Delusion and Disillusion in the philosophy of Heidegger and
Husserl: a deep influence", Memphis Metaphysical Ministry, Circular No. 63,
September).

Grice refers to cases like these as specimens (or attacks, as he prefers)
of the well-known Smith's disease.

"I know that I suffer from it, and I'm now having one attack". One
characteristic of the disease is that black things look red to the perceiving
subject, and red things look black.

"My addressee," however, "knows that I'm having this attack, and knows that
 I know that he knows I'm having this attack". Therefore, under this
'try-and-error' circumstance, my addressee is able to understand what I mean
(or
not).

To add to the confusion, in the Ashby-and-Cybernetics tradition, the word
"trial" seems to ENTAIL random-or-arbitrary, without any deliberate  choice.

However amongst non-cyberneticians, "trial" ENTAILS a deliberate subjective
 act by some adult human agent; (e.g. in a court-room, or laboratory).

So that has sometimes led to confusion. Unless are armed with a theory of
disimplicature alla Grice and know when to see an utterer is meaning less
than  she says (or vice versa).

Incidentally it seems that consciousness is not an essential ingredient for
 trial and error as often discussed, but it should be for Grice and Popper,
for  after all the analysis is:

I see that the black cat is on the red mat.

where "I" ENTAILS consciousness (vide Grice, "Personal Identity"). The
sentence should be distinguished from:

I fell from the stairs.

-- also used by Grice. In this case, 'I' = "My body'. In the case of
'seeing', it seems to be _more_ than my body (even if the eyes and the brain
are
ENTAILED). Popper makes the distinction when speaks of the 'self' as in
Popper's  (or Grice's, or Eccles's) self and the brain, as in Popper's (or
Grice's or  Eccles's) brain.

There is (or isn't) the further problem of the homunculus.

In scientific fields, a homunculus may refer to any scale model of the
human body that, in some way, illustrates physiological, psychological, or
other  abstract human characteristics or functions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functionalism_(philosophy_of_mind)#Homuncular_f
unctionalism

Since mind-mind supervenience seemed to have become acceptable in
functionalist circles, it seemed to some that the only way to resolve the
puzzle
was to postulate the existence of an entire hierarchical series of mind levels
 (analogous to homunculi) which became less and less sophisticated in terms
of  functional organization and physical composition all the way down to
the level  of the physico-mechanical neuron or group of neurons. The homunculi
at each  level, on this view, have authentic mental properties but become
simpler and  less intelligent as one works one's way down the hierarchy.

In "Causal  Theory of Perception" Grice analyses Price's claim
("Perception") as involving  two clauses. The first corresponds to the strict
analysans
in terms of the  causal role of material object M possessing property P; the
second to the  intepretation of 'cause' -- what Grice calls the fire-smoke
model, which he  finds inadequate for a number of reasons.

We are discussing that, and  more.

McEvoy refers to 'trial-and-error' and that led me to a little  research on
the expression, or term, as coined by Lloyd Morgan and used by
psychologists drawing from Popper in places like

"The Roots of  Perception: Individual Differences in Information Processing
Within and Beyond  Awareness" (a Google eBook)
by U. Hentschel, G. Smith, J.G.  Draguns
Elsevier ("The subject matter of this book is subliminal perception  and
microgenetic perceptual processing, two important topics on the interface
between perception and personality. It presents a different way of handling
these topics, biological in its emphasis on process, humanistic in its
focussing  on the dynamics of individual experience").

McEvoy

In a  message dated 2/5/2014 6:07:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx  writes:Austin in Sense and Sensibilia makes the point
about
Ayer's loose usage  of 'illusion' and 'delusion', frequently making it sound as
if they were  interchangeable.

Good points and reference.

Donal McEvoy  <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
we could detour into examining the  so-called 'Argument from Illusion'.

Indeed.

He goes  on:

"This point is one of the major underlying themes of [Popper's] "The  Self
and Its Brain": ... Popper wishes to show not only how the mind looks in
the light of his epistemology but indicate how this epistemology dovetails
with  everything we know about the workings of the brain and other sense
organs."

On the other hand, perhaps, there is the early Popper of "Logic  of
Scientific Discovery" and his campaign against the empiricist's (or logical
empiricist's, or logical positivist's) view that it's sense-data reports (or
'basic statements') all there is. Grice seems to touch on that when he goes to
the defense of the sense-datum theory (as it were) with qualifications as to
 where to draw the lines in terms of alleged implications which are not
part of  the meaning of sense-datum reports.

The early Popper also helped  elucidate the analysis of 'observe' and at
one point Grice does make the  distinction between, say, "I saw that the cat
is on the mat" versus "I observed  that the cat is on the mat". He touches on
the phenomenalist's point of  reducing, as it were, the relevant 'material
object' to an 'ens rationis' (alla  'electron' in physical theory, he
mentions) or as something that we only arrive  by 'inference' (which may but
then
may not compare to Popper's later views on  'trial-and-error').

McEvoy:

"we do NOT [emphasis mine --  Speranza] experience the vast
'TRIAR-AND-ERROR' [emphasis mine -- Speranza]  processes that are involved when
we open our
eyes and experience 'seeing an  object': we neither experience the vast
evolutionary 'TRIAL-AND-ERROR' [emphasis  mine -- Speranza] history that
underpins the eye we inherit from our ancestors  nor do we experience the
complex,
rapid 'TRIAL-AND-ERROR' [emphasis mine --  Speranza] processes involved
when that inherited eye (and its brain) springs  into action when we raise our
eyelid. But our models, including scientific  models, can throw much
surprising light on all these processes - much more light  than we get by
thinking
about what it feels like when we experience 'seeing an  object', as our
experience is far from 'transparent' as to how it is  formed."

One problem here may, but then again may not, be what I think  some
philosophers call the "HOMUNCULUS theory". I came across this in readings  of
neo-Griceian approaches to representationalism (Cummings, Mind and Meaning,  or
Meaning and Representation). So it may do to explore the 'trial' and the
'error'. Wiki may have something to say about that.

Grice of course deals  with 'implicatures' of 'try' in "Prolegomena to
Logic and Conversation"  (ambitious and slightly pretentious title, but
post-delivery of what is just the  first William James lecture at Harvard in
1967).
Notably, H. L. A. Hart's  misconceptions about 'try' ("He tried to post a
letter; and he succeeded"). I'm  not sure he dealt with 'error'.

This point by Grice on 'try' ("He tried  and he succeeded") relates,
interestingly (in my view) to the 'causal' in  'causal theory' as in 'causal
theory of perception', because, echoing Hart,  Grice feels that 'cause' is
perhaps too strong of a noun, and the proper ('too  proper' for Grice) use of
'cause' would best seem to restrict it to 'abnormal'  cases (this is one of the
six, I think, theses, that Grice holds as having a  family resemblance with
the thesis under discussion to the effect that  sense-datum reports ("It
looks to me as if the pillar box is red") carry a  doubt-or-denial implicature
of sorts ("Someone doubts it is red; It isn't red,  after all").

I read from wiki that "trial and error" is a fundamental  method of solving
problems.

In this case, the problem of perception, as  it were.

"Trial and error is characterised by repeated, varied attempts  which are
continued until success, or until the agent stops trying."

In  the case under discussion, perception, since the agent is not
'conscious', this  may lead to a 'homuncular' posit. Or not.

Trial and error, the Wikipedia  entry goes on, "is an unsystematic method
which does not employ insight, theory  or organised methodology."

According to W.H. Thorpe, the phrase, "trial  and error" was coined by C.
Lloyd Morgan after trying out similar phrases

"trial and failure" and

"trial and practice".

Oddly, he  didn't come with my favourite: the triad: trial and error and
success. "Trial  and failure" sounds awfully pesimistic. "Trial and practice"
sounds fine, but  also does "tribulation and trial".

Under Morgan's canon, animal  behaviour [including the perceptual phenomena
which are prior to conduct] should  be explained in the simplest possible
way.

"Where behaviour seems to  imply higher mental processes, it might be
explained by trial and error  learning."

Here we add 'learn', which carries its own implicatures.

"He finally, via trial and error, learned THAT the cat was on the mat".

-- Suppose that as the conclusion on a dog's piece of reasoning (the cat
chases the mouse, and the dog chases the cat).

An example is the  skillful way in which Lloyd Morgan's Yorkshire terrier
Tony opens the garden  gate, easily misunderstood as an insightful act by
someone seeing the final  behaviour.

Which should have, as a prior element, the more or less  correct account of
the perceptual 'belief':

Tony sees that the garden  gate is closed.

Lloyd Morgan watched and recorded the series of  approximations by which
Tony gradually learns the response.

Lloyd Morgan  goes on to argue that no insight is required to explain
Tony's behaviour (Tony's  opening of the garden gate -- _when it is previously
closed_).

The  Wikipedia entry goes on to note that Edward Thorndike showed how to
manage a  trial and error experiment in the laboratory.

In a famous experiment, a  cat, called Whiskers, was placed in a series of
puzzle boxes in order to study  the law of EFFECT in learning.

Thorndike (not Whiskers) went on to plot  learning curves which recorded
the timing for each of the Whiskers's  trial

Thorndike's key observation is that Whiskers's learning was  promoted by
positive results, which was later refined and extended by B.F.  Skinner's
operant conditioning.

It is surprising that, even though  positivism was key, the term 'error'
and 'failure', with their negative  implicatures, was kept.

Wikipedia goes on:

"Trial and error is  also a heuristic method of problem solving, repair,
tuning, or obtaining  knowledge."

As in

I saw that the cat is on the mat.
I knew that  the cat is on the mat.

----

"In the field of computer science, the  method is called generate and test.
In elementary algebra, when solving  equations, it is "guess and check"".

But in the philosophy of perception,  it's best to stick to 'trial and
error'.

"This approach", the wikipedia  goes on, "can be seen as one of the two
basic approaches to problem solving,  contrasted with an approach using insight
and theory."

I think 'insight'  is the one preferred by Hacker, as per his "Illusion
[sic] and  insight".

On the other hand, 'theory' seems to be favoured by Hanson, as  when he
speaks of all observation (or perception) being theory-laden. Hanson  seems to
be arguing that if we use Grice's verbs ('perceive', 'observe') in the
imperative, the result is otiose:

"Perceive!"

"Observe!"

--  the implicatures being, 'perceive WHAT?', 'observe WHAT?'. And this may
connect  with Grice's point that material objects, rather than
uncontroversial items,  become what he refers to as 'entia rationis' alla the
quantum
theorist's  particle.

Wikipedia goes on: "However, there are intermediate methods  which for
example, use theory to guide the method, an approach known as guided
empiricism."

McEvoy ends his post:

"[O]ur models, including  scientific models, can throw much surprising
light on all these processes - much  more light than we get by thinking about
what it feels like when we experience  'seeing an object', as our experience
is far from 'transparent' as to how it is  formed.  Our 'experience is not
transparent as to 'causal roles' either, as  these must be allocated in terms
of detailed understanding of the relevant  processes."

Point granted. I guess Grice is just trying to save Price who  besides
"Perception" has, I think, another book called "Incorrigibility", and  Grice
makes a point or two about sense-datum reports being 'immune'. In "Method  in
philosophical psychology" he will go on to explore items like 'privileged
access' and 'incorrigibility' itself. This may lead us back to that glorious
(I  find) quote by Price:

"When I see a tomato there is much that I can  doubt. I can doubt whether
it is a tomato that I am seeing, and not a cleverly  painted piece of wax. I
can doubt whether there is any material thing there at  all. Perhaps what I
took for a tomato was really a reflection; perhaps I am even  the victim of
some hallucination. One thing however I cannot doubt: that there  exists a
red patch of a round and somewhat bulgy shape, standing out from a
background of other colour-patches, and having a certain visual depth, and that
 this
whole field of colour is directly present to my consciousness."

Of  course, that's Price. Descartes would GO ON and doubt that what Price
finds as  being 'beyond reasonable doubt' is, er, doubtful.

Cfr.

I saw that  the cat is on the mat.

I DREAMED that the cat is on the  mat.

Descartes, knowing that the context of our dreams, while possibly
unbelievable, are often lifelike, hypothesized that humans can only believe
that
they are awake.

There are no sufficient grounds by which to distinguish  a dream experience
from a waking experience.

I saw that the cat was on  the mat
I dreamed that the cat was on the mat.

For instance, Subject A  sits at her computer, reading the Wikipedia entry
on "Cartesian doubt". Just as  much evidence exists to indicate that her
reading that entry is reality as there  is to demonstrate the opposite.

Descartes conceded that we live in a  world that can create such ideas as
dreams. However, by the end of The  Meditations, he concludes that we can
distinguish dream from reality at least in  retrospect.[2]

On top of that, Descartes reasons that our very own  experience (of seeing
that the cat is on the mat) may very well be controlled by  an evil demon.
As he writes, "there could be some malicious, powerful, cunning  demon that
is deceiving us into thinking that we see that the cat is on the  mat.

Descartes famously concludes that ALL his senses were lying and  since his
senses could easily 'fool' him -- which may lead us back to the  argument
from illusion, or not, and in what way Grice's exercises in the causal  theory
of perception connects with Austin's brilliant observations against Ayer
(and Warnock, for that matter) in "Sense and Sensibilia".

Cheers,

Speranza

Ashby, W. R. (1960: Second Edition).  Design for a Brain. Chapman & Hall:
London.
Austin, Sense and  Sensibilia
Grice, Causal theory of perception
Traill, R.R. (1978/2006).  Molecular explanation for intelligence…, Brunel
University Thesis,  HDL.handle.net
Traill, R.R. (2008). Thinking by Molecule, Synapse, or both? —  From Piaget’
s Schema, to the Selecting/Editing of ncRNA. Ondwelle: Melbourne.
Ondwelle.com — or French version Ondwelle.com.
Warnock,  Berkeley