[lit-ideas] HMS Underpants

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 14:32:12 -0800

Looking into how one does a tour of slaughter, this year being the anniversary
of same, I typed "Visiting WW1 Battlefields" into a search engine.  The first
hits you get suggest that British battles were about the only ones going--Ypres
to the Somme-- but further down the page you come to the Meuse Tourism website
which has the following claim,
Verdun, Capital of the Great War

Verdun, the best-known town in the world after Paris, provides the way in to
the battlefields of the Meuse.

Thinking of exposure, you may have come across this story:

> http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/02/06/the_sleepwalker_at_wellesley_students_complain_that_a_statue_of_a_man_in.html

I feel the same way about the lions of Trafalgar Square, poised to jump at me,
about all equestrian statues, poised to commit equestricide, and about the
Embankment's statue of Boadicea in her chariot with scythes attached...posed to
remind me of the trauma of losing one's head.  Since I suffer from Historical
Memory Syndrome (not to be confused with any of Her Majesty's Ships) I'm more
susceptible than most to such fears.

Benin is on my mind because E's just was told that she's to go there with the
Peace Corps.  I wrote, "I quote from wikipedia, 'The Bight of Benin is part of
the Gulf of Ghana.'  May Benin prove benign and not benighted."  She was
amused.  Largest city has fewer than seven hundred thousand people.  But they
do have a biennale, with accompanying blither,
http://universes-in-universe.org/eng/bien/biennale_benin/2012

Might be more fun than slaughter.

Carry on,

David Ritchie,
experiencing iced east winds that knife us in
Portland, Oregon