[lit-ideas] Re: "The Causal Theory of Perception"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:57:49 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/2009 1:49:13 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
Why is it important in this  context that the late Rogers Albritton was
gay? And, why is 'gay' in scare  quotes?
'Maxim of Quantity: Make your contribution to the conversation as
informative as necessary. Do not make your contribution to the
conversation more informative than necessary.'

----

Isn't that, with all due respect, slightly patronising?

First, Grice never thought that to follow a maxim was a matter of
_legality_.

Consider J. Huggins, a philosopher in PHILOS-L. He was quoting widely from
Anthony Appiah --. I love Appiah. He coined (well, ...) 'stereoscopy' as
applied  to ethics.

There is a good photo of Anthony Appiah by S. Pyke at the site referred to
by R. Paul vis a vis Philippa Foot.

Surely it would be otiose to refer to Anthony Appiah as the "African"
philosopher. Indeed 'racist'. It would be interesting to check with google, how

many quotes for Appiah do make a reference to his 'race'.

O. T. O. H., when I was not posting much, R. Paul (whom I love) was
defending Hispanics ("Spicks" as a racist one on this list was calling them),
and
he said,

"Surely Geary likes a Hispanic".

"Ah, Speranza -- yes;" Geary said, "And many others too: Mind: I'm in touch
 with a lot of Hispanics: mostly in kitchens in restaurants."

Say Hey, Jorgey!

Back to the 'causal theory of perception':

"Albritton was gay, but he didn't look it".

Veronica: do you perceive Sotomayor as mainly female or mainly latina?
Would you be offended if it turns out, as it may well, that she is also a
lesby?  (Yes, she _was_ married, but, er... no children). (Her brother has a
practice in  NY, speaks no Spanish, and does not accept Medicare!).

And yes, she's a preppie, Geary!

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
fingertips.