[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Something

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0700

On Mar 22, 2015, at 3:34 PM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

> > In the wee hours, as it were, I find the trick to having a pee is keeping
> > one's eyes shut.
>
> I take it this trick is so you can get back to sleep quickly and not because
> you find it difficult to pee.
>
> Some men, perhaps women too, find it difficult to pee in front of others in
> public urinals. I'm guessing shutting one's eyes doesn't help. Here a trick
> is to tell yourself under no circumstances are you allowed to pee - this
> causes it to flood out.

I'm reminded of the time I gave a talk titled, "Mr. Crapper's Blue Puck; A
History of the Color Blue and Toilets."  Alas, I can't find a copy of the
script but my memory is that it was like others I've given, no better, no
worse.  The reaction, however, was not.  Great, great enthusiasm, which
continued through dinner.  Offer people a chance to talk about toilets and lo!
One might say they "open up."

Chickens, schmickens, liminality ha!  ...give us widdle.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon