[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Something

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 14:10:19 -0700

On Sep 14, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

> Please...can you describe the subtle difference between "something" and
> "wotsit"; Because my father once remarked after I came in from shoveling snow
> with my fly down: "you better be careful or you'll get a frostbitten wotsit"
> and I'd like to thing that my wotsit is close to "something" -
> philosophically speaking, of course.

While it's clear that a twofer and a wotsit are not the same thing (portion
size here is key), experts differ on what exactly distinguishes a Something
from a Wotsit.  The most likely explanation is that the author has difficulty
with consistency.  This is certainly why he can't dance.  "One two-three, one
two-three," repeated only a couple of times becomes, "one two-three FOUR..."  A
drummer like yourself is unlikely to empathize.

On more the personal matters you cite, I cannot comment.  Maybe keeping your
stick off the ice might be a good idea?

David Ritchie,
Flocking H.Q.