[lit-ideas] Re: "Stand By Denmark" Rally

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:49:24 -0500

Eric wrote:
Reverse the situation. Imagine that apocalyptic and violent Christian sects were blowing up public facilities and killing innocent civilians and being supported by the general public despite government attempts to eradicate them.

US:
Have you heard of Northern Ireland?

Eric:
Don't give me relativism crap here, like "the US army is destroying...etc." Really look at the problem instead of playing games. Imagine that civilian Christian extremists were the murderers, and they were able to hide in the Christian populations and avoid justice.

Ursula again:
That "relativism crap" you deride is decidedly relevant. Are you really not able to imagine that, were the tables turned, armed insurgents against Islamic invasion and overrule in North America would receive popular support and be able to hide in the general population? And do you not see that because the invaders are Muslim, the insurgency would be militantly Christian? To paraphrase Nietzsche, "our determination to see the world as ugly and bad, has made the world ugly and bad". The Islamists threaten my world because you threatened theirs.

Ursula (out of town and not following this thread, but reacting to this one email)