[lit-ideas] Re: "Stand By Denmark" Rally

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:22:46 -0800

The ideology was described in greatest detail by Sayyid Qutb who was
executed by Nassar in 1965; so it has been around for awhile.  What Qutb
wrote about is what Islamists believe and practice today.  Qutb was a member
of the Egyptian Muslim Brothers which was influenced by Saudi Arabian
Salafism.  Maududi from Pakistan and a few others had the concept, but Qutb
for the Sunnis and Khomeini for the Shiites firmed up the ideology.

The term Westerners preferred was "Islamic Fundamentalism."   This term
explained the ideology to some extent to Westerners, a Fundamentalist form
of Islam, like Fundamentalism is a Fundamentalist form of Christianity, but
Islamists didn't like the use of a Christian term.  I don't know who first
coined the term Islamism but it is apt, meaning in the broadest sense a
political form of Islam, an ideology and not strictly a religion.  But the
Islamists go further and argue that in its truest sense Islam must be
considered to have a political element as well as a religious one.  Islam
covers the entire life and well-being of the Ummah which includes politics
and the spread of Islam.  The Jihad is part of it.  Perhaps it has never
been described quite as Sayyid Qutb described it, but his description is
consistent with the Koran."

Lawrence

  _____