[lit-ideas] Re: Schadenfreude

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:52:20 EST

Yost:

>>>no one wrote in opposition to the  motion.

Bruce:

>>Give me a chance to catch my  breath!

Julie Krueger:

>Chris -- does this mean you do have  some opposition? ...
>it would at least be enlightening to know what the  beef is.

Well, as Geary says, a beef is a beef is a beef:

"The truth is, I'm not about to sacrifice membership on this list
for very long, not just to support a friend and/or a moral  principle."
... What if I find I'm really a Republican?"

Talking of  which -- where's Lawrence Helm. I missed him, too!

C. B.:

>Come  to think of it, it wasn't a 'them' (i.e.,
>'slumbers')

Indeed: "aus dem dogmatischen Schlummer geweckt" (I must have been having
the "golden slumbers" nursery in my head).

>Schadenfreude; ugly  thing, never could
>stand the look - or feel - of it) somewhere FAR  AWAY.

So do we have a cognate in English for 'schaden': scathe, and one for
'freude': Sigmund.  The OED does not dwell much on Germanic etymology. The
first
cite they give for 'schadenfreude' is by this Trench.  There are only  two hits
in the OED for 'freude': the schadenfreude one and a few under  'strength
through joy [freude]' (1935) with cites like:

1973 ‘G. BLACK’ Bitter Tea, p. 156
"The girl looked as if she had graduated from one of Lee Kuan Yew's
strength-through-joy courses."

The one for 'scathe' (and cfr. 'canker sore') is a nice one, the first  one:

   For if thou scathest any man you scathest first  thyself.
                     ORMIN, 1200, 4568.

Good to know your garden is blooming.
Cheers,

JL