[lit-ideas] Re: Schadenfreude

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:25:14 EST

"The Schadenfreude of cooks at keyholes" _Age of  Anxiety_

In a message ("Re: Schadenfreude"), dated Feb. 21, J. M. Geary  writes:

>Ciao.

Oddly the OED defines this  as

"an informal Italian *greeting* or farewell
(also affected as a fashionable expression by English  speakers):
*hello*, good-bye. [from Neapolitan, 'I salute  thee, master, as thy faithful
slave [schiavo]']

I did some research on  that, mainly to contradict Geary, friendly:

My quiz was: Mark in the OED  quotes for 'ciao' below which means 'hello' and
which means  'good-bye':

‘Ciaou!’ he said. ‘What kind of time did you have?’
1929 E. HEMINGWAY Farewell to Arms, p. 18

Geary's reply. "In this one,  it means 'good-bye'. And it implicates he gives
a f--- as to what kind of time  she did have"

1961 ‘I. T. ROSS’ Requiem for Schoolgirl, p. 172
‘I'll tell him,’ he said. ‘Ciao.’

"This one is ambiguous. It possibly  means 'hello' to the schoolgirl -- if
she ain't dead already".

1965 C.  GLYN Love & Joy in Mabillon, p. 134
‘You're going?’ Chantal  asked... ‘Yes. Ciao’, said Theo and went out.

"This obviously means  'hello' -- which does not necessarily mean 'greeting'
in English either. It's a  foxhunter slang."

1970 S. HAZZARD Bay of Noon p. 152

"Crowds of children were swimming  off the rocks along the Posillipo...
They sometimes looked up to us  and waved, and she waved back or
called out ‘Ciao,’ while I set out a jug and glasses on a table between  us."

"This one is apocryphal as she possibly couldn't speak the Italian  either. I
know Hazzard can't".

Cheers,

JL
Thanks  to all for your support.