[lit-ideas] Re: Schadenfreude

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:06:38 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2009 7:35:21 P.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Some of my posts  have been ignored, ... Mike Geary is back. It's like you
and he never went away.

-----

"Mike Geary is back, but then he never really went away, did he".

Is that falsifiable?

cfr. the very similar:

"When we say that one is as wise as a wisp,
does that imply the wisp is  wise?"
1655 H. MORE Second Lash 218

I'm presently studying Gricean  implicature.

>Thank you, Andreas.  By being too busy to unsubscribe me from the  list
(even
>though I sent in 3 requests), you saved me from having to  pull an "Andy
[Amago] " on
>the list. The truth is, I'm not about to  sacrifice membership on this list
>for very long, not just to support a  friend and/or a moral principle.  On
>the other hand, I couldn't let  my friend [go] down (nor morality), so I'd
[would] have to
>sign back on  under a pseudonym, and not just a pseudonym but a
>pseudo-personality  with a pseudo-writing style, etc.  I'd have to imagine
>myself as  someone else, I'd have to become someone else on this list.  What

>then if I find that's who I really am? -- what if I find I'm really a
>Republican?  Or a chess lover?

or a Brie cheese-loving Republican, worse.

>Or a woman in a man's body?  Or a paedophile
>priest?   The possibilities are endless (or [if not] nearly so).

Geary is right about 'nearly so'. How could he simulate a Japanese
monolingual virgin, for example?

>You've saved me from
>all that.  I suggest you not  unsubscribe Brian either, let him stew in the
>Lit-Id juices a bit  longer.  Might give him a liberal flavor.  :  )

Bryan who?

Cheers,

JL

steps!