[lit-ideas] Re: Schadenfreude

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:46:30 +0100

On 24-Feb-09, at 11:34 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

...Personally, I'd start from Kiel. He is *just* _recovering_ from 'dogmatic slumbers', so you should bring some fresh coffee -- but keep the schadenfreude on the doormat. We love you, Chris! ...

No no no - I'm not recovering from them at all; I said I was irked at having them disturbed! Come to think of it, it wasn't a 'them' (i.e., 'slumbers') but more like an 'it' (a 'dogmatic hibernation', perhaps). I'm awake now ...

No coffee for me thanks. And don't keep the Schadenfreude on the doormat (a new one by the way, cast iron with the form of a hedgehog in the middle with bottle-brush-like bristles for cleaning the footwear); bury it (i.e., the Schadenfreude; ugly thing, never could stand the look - or feel - of it) somewhere FAR AWAY.

After you've finished admiring the doormat, you might as well come in for a cup of tea (but first perhaps a tour of the garden: you've no doubt already noted the crocuses already in bloom, but don't fail to appreciate the prolific blossoming hidden below last year's foliage on the helleborus; critical remarks on my pruning of the apple tree gratefully received providing they are constructive; etc.).

Chris Bruce,
on the first Springlike day,
in Kiel, Germany