[lit-ideas] Re: Russian?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 13:47:02 -0330

I believe that McWhorter's "language hoax" is right on. But perhaps my reasons
for that conclusion differ from his. Mine are transcendental. I'm not sure what
his are. But if they're strictly empirical, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Those amongst us who wish to claim that "It's really all cultural" or "It's
really all political" may wish to consider whether that claim is an empirical
claim or one making a transcendental (i.e. universal and necessary) claim about
relations between concepts their possibilities and limits given our "form of
life" or "being-in-the-world."

Walter O

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/30/258376009/how-language-seems-to-shape-ones-view-of-the-world?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Sapir%E2%80%93Whorf_hypothesis.html