[lit-ideas] Re: Russian?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:18:38 -0230

Quoting Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>:

> Walter Okshevsky wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Robert Paul wrote:
> >

> >>Russki ochen trydni yazik.
>
> > That's really very good, Robert! (You got one of the "y"s wrong.)
> > Vsegda vsevo horoshovo
> > Valodya
>
> > Minsk Translation Services
>
> Da. It would be the one in 'trydni'?(?); but isn't the word pronounced
> (by tin-eared language students like I once was, troodni? For give the
> 'puzhalsta.'
>
> Spasebo, etc.
>
> Robert Paul
> Mutton College

WO: More accurately, the transliteration would be rendered as "troodniy" or
"trudniy." I don't know the standard sytem of transliterating russian. I think
Misha Chase would probably know more about this, linguist that he is. I'm just
doing it by ear. I would transliterate "please" as "pozhalosta", where the "o"
is somewhere between an english "o" and and english (short) "a".

Nyezhosto,