[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:05:10 +0100

Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 1:48:49 PM, Brian wrote:

B> On May 24, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

>> *We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
>> equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
>> Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of =20
>> Happiness=85
>> [Declaration of Independence].
>>
>> There are no footnotes, parenthetical qualifications, or escape =20
>> clauses
>> here. It may be that =91Brian=92 believes that a right to life exists =
> only
>> where there is no threat to life;

B> We should define this first because I suspect we wouldn't use it in =20
B> the same way.  This clause is about moral ownership.  That we are =20
B> created (life) and free (liberty) to pursue our lives as we see fit; =20
B> that no one can lay moral claim to these things because they are not =20
B> given of the state, as a privilege of government, but of the Creator =20
B> of us all, thereby inalienable (absolute).  Given the way you are =20
B> using it, what do you think of abortion vis a vis your interpretation?

Let me have a go at that, Brian. I'd say under your way of thinking I have
an inalienable right
to have sex with whomever (or whatever) I wish whenever and wherever I wish
without the state telling me not to and if I get pregnant have an inalienable
right to
get a doctor to carry out an abortion and if the state does not like
that it can fuck off because it is my inalienable right to do these
things
 and so, anyone who does not like that can fuck off

 But that under your system I can only exercise that right if I am rich.

 But under my way of thinking, the state does have a right to
 intervene to try to ensure that people have an equality of liberty
 etc. so the state should try to make sure that not only the rich can
 have sex with whomever they wish and get an abortion.

 If you want a more scholarly argument re abortion rights and
 contraception rights and the Constitution I suggest you read Justice
 Harlan's opinions in Planned Parenthood and Roe (Harlan does not base
 his support on a right to privacy)

 (You're going to say the fetus has a moral right, aren't you? **Where
 does the Constitution say that?**)

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx