[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:48:49 -0500

On May 24, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

> *We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
> equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
> Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of =20
> Happiness=85
> [Declaration of Independence].
>
> There are no footnotes, parenthetical qualifications, or escape =20
> clauses
> here. It may be that =91Brian=92 believes that a right to life exists =
only
> where there is no threat to life;

We should define this first because I suspect we wouldn't use it in =20
the same way.  This clause is about moral ownership.  That we are =20
created (life) and free (liberty) to pursue our lives as we see fit; =20
that no one can lay moral claim to these things because they are not =20
given of the state, as a privilege of government, but of the Creator =20
of us all, thereby inalienable (absolute).  Given the way you are =20
using it, what do you think of abortion vis a vis your interpretation?

Brian
Birmingham=