[lit-ideas] Re: Pausing Philosophically for Coffee off the B9086, with Tammie Norries

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:09:39 -0230

Let it be heard and known, far and wide, including galaxies far far away, that
Walter has completed all final grading of exams, papers, participation logs,
etc and is now teaching- and service- free until mid-January of the next year
of our lord!

Grad grades in the Education ethics course ranged from 42 to 95 (yes, %).
Consequently, a few principals and teachers will not be enjoying this wonderful
mid-August sunshine we're getting. My undergrads did quite well: nobody failed,
grades ranged from 63 to 94. (Heather, who argued vehemently in class one day
that one can gerrymander maxims any way one wished to get universalizability,
received the lowest grade in the class, of course. Poor kid. And she had such a
bright future.)

Ah yes, course evaluations. Our undergrads write them less than one week before
their final exam. Because Walter does not tell them the answers to the essay
questions on the exams, nor does he tell them the questions, many are quite hot
and bothered by this totally unusual amd seemingly illegitimate pedagogy and
evaluation strategy. Thus can you imagine some of the responses I receive on
course evaluations. Fortunately, I'm tenured. (Which if you think about it, is
probably the major rationale for tenure. Any arguments against tenure? I'd hate
to be a prof in the UK, after all.)

I do get some assessments of the kind that "Bob Paul" gets:

- "Walter is a very good teacher who cares about his students' learning."

- "He's a hard marker, but he's fair."

- "Walter will never insult any student's intelligence."

- "Professor Okshevsky knows alot about his subject area and has a talent for
teaching it to others with little knowledge of the area."

- "Dr. O allows us to resubmit our drafts of the paper if we want a higher
grade. Not many profs do that. Why not?"

- "Sir Walter is almost always available for a meeting in his office to discuss
problems we're having with course material or our progress on our class
presentation and paper."

- "Doc OK took time to meet with me in his office to discuss my midterm and
plot strategies to ensure that my performance on the final is much better."

And because teaching, like life itself, is a dialectic, I also receive the
following kinds of comments:

- "It's over." (Response to the question: "What is the best part of this
course?")

- "Only to my worst enemy." (Response to the question: "Would you recommend
this course to other students?)

Other comments (undergrads):

- "This course is totally irrelavant [sic] to classroom teaching and I don't
know why it is a reqired [sic] course for my degree in teacher training."

- "I didn't pay for a course where students teach half of it through
presentations. And I don't really need to know what my 'colleagues' think about
stuff." If Dr. Olshewsky [sic] doesn't have enough material to cover a 12 week
course, he shouldn't be teaching it."

- "Stuff about moral reasoning, democratic delebiration [sic] may be important
to adminsitrators [sic] in schools, but actual teachers in the classroom don't
need to know that and there's so much else we need to learn, like classroom
management, differential learning styles and special needs. This course
shouldn't be required"

- "This course is a total waste of time and money. With all the learning
outcomes from government that we need to cover in our teaching, I don't see the
point of looking at things like arguements [sic] for validity and soundness or
whatever, or naturalist [sic] fallacies or all that Habermas stuff on
dialogue."

- "Stuff about cultural relativism and postmodernism has nothing to do with our
learning about how to get students to learn provincially prescribed learning
outcomes. There may be stuff going on in France and other places about veils
and hiqabs [sic] but here in Canada we keep politics out of the classroom and
focus on real-life practical teaching."

Thus do I stay in the provinces,

Walter.

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php