[lit-ideas] Re: Pausing Philosophically for Coffee off the B9086, with Tammie Norries

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:42:30 -0230

I believe that any accredited university must provide tenure for its faculty.
There is no academic freedom, either in research or teaching without it.
Academic freedom is what identifies the distinct character of a university and
what differentiates it from training schools, community colleges and other
organizations in which teaching is formally pursued. Apply the Hypothetical
Imperative yourself. All of this I take to be transcendental to the concept of
a university.

In practice, the granting of tenure is often contentious and political rather
than impartial and duly informed. Such considerations have no relevance to the
apriori claims I made in par one. They are relevant only to maxims of
continuing vigilance and improvement in the process of deliberation and
adjudication carried out by P&T cttees. There is nothing mysterious about
excellence in research and in teaching. Faculty Associations are clear on the
general guidelines, as is the Canadian Association of University Teachers which
monitors and responds to infringements of academic freedom in the country. It is
mysterious only to faculty who are
asked to make tenure decisions on individuals working in a scholarly discipline
radically different from those inhabited by the adjudicators. The value of my
assessment of an educational psychologist's worthiness to be tenured depends on
my knowledge of the top scholarly journals and publishers in that field. As
such, my view is worthless. My view is less worthless when it comes to
philosophy of education or moral philosophy. Fallible? Of course. But one
doesn't criticize the value of the wheel simply because people get flat tires.

On Heather: Yes, she's very real. And very bright, clearly. Any faculty member
who takes the Miss Congeniality approach to evaluating her students' work is a
fraud and does not deserve tenure or to sit on a P&T cttee or even continued
employment at a university. There is room at neither the university nor a
public school for the Jim Keegstra's and Malcolm Ross's of the world.

Walter O
MUN

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/uchistory/archives_exhibits/loyaltyoath/timelinesummary.html

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php