[lit-ideas] Re: Living Philosophically.

  • From: carol kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:38:58 -0700

Worser and worser. First "spiritual" perplexed me, having first learned its
meaninas "witty," in French. Now "storytelling" seems to have pushed other,
more familiar terms off the stage. Terms like "narrative," which I prefer.
It's plain, doesn't have that liar's air to it. In narrative, I can tell you
a version of what just happened without giving it a tedious beginning,
middle and end, as "story" implies. I prefer snippets, scenes, events or
moods that aren't so all-encompassing to be a veritable "story." (I hear
people asking one another about their "story," as if we're now supposed to
be our obituaries, fashion ourselves as characters--pick one for Thursday,
another for weekend use.)

I forget who I am all the time. Yesterday, I realized that I truly don't
know how my father managed to go to college, but it's too late to ask him.
So I'll make up a few reasons and cycle among them, depending on my mood.
Having a firm identity isn't nearly as important as a high tolerance for
fluctuating moods, I find.

Carol