[lit-ideas] Re: Pausing Philosophically for Coffee off the B9086, with Tammie Norries

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:38:13 +0100 (BST)

addendum

Donal's right.  We need good employment laws, strong safeguards against unfair
dismissal, strong anti-discrimination laws, strong whistleblower protection
laws, etc., for all workers.

We also need (they also need) an end to rubbish like Quality Assurance
assessment of teaching, i.e., assessment of the "quality" and amount of the
paperwork departments present to the QA assessors, and rubbish like the RAE
(etc.).  We also need (they also need) a more thoughtful implementation of
assessment of tutors by students (I got some views on this from US students;
clearly some, anyway, US universities and SLACs know how to do it fairly and
well).  They/we need a system that allows Simon Schama to spend 12 years
writing his first book -- but wait: Cambridge and Oxford had such a system; how
would Schama have fared in the US?

But primarily we need to safeguard all workers equally.

Incidentally, I bet US tenured academics convicted, like Russell, of an offence
under a wartime act, would have had their employment terminated for just cause.
(I don't support that.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff