[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 20:27:21 -0500

PE:

Finally, I find the term 'world peace' vacuous. What would the world look like for everyone to agree that there is peace?

This question comes up often in the World Government class that I teach at Old Zinnies. Granted most of the 'students' are shitfaced by the time class starts, but that doesn't seem to dampen their enthusiasm for arguing, or fighting for that matter. I agree that 'world peace' as an expression is generally tossed about as vacuously as a Miss America contestant's desire for it, but the words can still convey some real meaning. For instance, it could mean a global cessation of armed conflict. Peace doesn't mean 'no conflict', it means no armed conflict. It means that society has developed other venues for resolving conflicts such as territorial claims, cultural and religious value clashes, grave economic disparities, etc. How might that development of venues come about? Ah well, there's the rub. But venues are imaginable and many such imaginings are quite plausible. Eric's proposition that the only way to a world-wide cessation of armed conflicts is through the establishment of a One-World Police State is Eric's special nightmare, and to my way of seeing things, it's as unreal as Miss Tennessee's "wish" for world peace. Power comes from the barrel of a gun, not peace. What then are some of the imaginable venues for world peace. Well, what are the causes of war? (1) Historical grievances; (2) religious, racial, ethnic and tribal intolerance; (3) economic self-interest; (4) nationalistic jingoism ; (5) short penises; (6) neurotic personalities in leadership positions. That's off the top of my head. There's no reason why any issue arising from these causes can't be settled without warfare if there are the governmental mechanisms in place to deal with them. Worldwide governmental mechanisms. And they can be if we want them to be. It won't be easy. We'll have to want it terribly bad. We'll have to work at it harder than we work at making war. But we can do it. It'll take some big mind-set changes by all of us, but those changes do not, must not and, in fact, cannot embrace fascism. I look forward to a future without armed conflict. 100 years ago, no one would have believed there could be such a thing as the United Nations. What a notion! What great hope for the future!

Mike Geary

Mike Geary