[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 16:54:46 +0100

I'm not sure, Lawrence, that I understand what you mean by
"liberal
democracy", given your post.

But I am sure that your

LH>Germany never met the criteria of a liberal democracy until
after WWII.
LH>No one thinks that they did, by the way.

is a bit bizarre. Cf

Rudolf Heberle _From Democracy to Nazism_ (terrific! but, Richard
Evans
told me, shown to be wrong/atypical -- fyi the "democracy" is not
the
point at issue -- still, most interesting)

http://www.adinfinitumbooks.com/si/14726X1.html

Carl Schmitt (Ellen Kennedy, trans) _Crisis of Parliamentary
Democracy_

http://www.amazon.com/Parliamentary-Democracy-Studies-Contemporary-Thought/dp/0262691264/sr=1-20/qid=1157470815/ref=sr_1_20/102-3951326-1175348?ie=UTF8&s=books

Peter Caldwell and William Scheuerman, eds.  _From Liberal
Democracy to Fascism: Legal and Political Thought in the
Weimar Republic_

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:0ZAG4MRKDdYJ:www.h-net.org/reviews/showpdf.cgi%3Fpath%3D81921070568363+Weimar+%2Bliberal+democracy&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

of course there's room for an argument that Weimar wasn't
a "real" liberal democracy, but then, there's even more
room to argue that China isn't.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK