[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 07:47:21 -0700

No, you aren't serious.  Who is proposing what you say the US is proposing?
No one.  You are making it up.  What good does it do you to make those
things up?  No one believes you?  Well, I shouldn't say "no one."  You have
Andreas.  I could also add Irene, but I am busy trying to convert her to
reason; so I'll leave her name off for now.

You obviously missed the flap about Iran.  The US and the USSR during the
Cold War agreed that it would be very bad if nuclear weapons proliferated
among nations less responsible than they were.  There is a UN edict against
the proliferation of nuclear weapons.  I looked it up a few years ago.  It
isn't hard to find as I recall.  Nevertheless nations are being added to the
list of those nations possessing nuclear weapons.  Pakistan has them; so
Pakistan drew a lot of attention from the Bush administration after 9/11 and
as you may recall, Musharaff gave convincing evidence that Pakistan would
cooperate with the U.S. in combating Militant Islam.  That was quite a
change for Pakistan because it had exported Militant Islam to Afghanistan.
Nevertheless, Bush accepted Musharaff's proffering of friendship and
cooperation.  Libya also indicated a desire to move out of the camp opposing
the US and did so.

Wars will continue until there is no further need for them.  Fukuyama and
Barnett may not be right.  There may be no end to history, no unification of
the world because all nations have become Liberal Democracies. Samuel P.
Huntington may be right.  Wars may continue because Civilizations will
always find reasons to disagree and to war.  But assuming Fukuyama and
Barnett are right then we have only the Rogue States to war against.
Furthermore, since Liberal Democracies are slow to go to war, it will take
something extremely provocative to elicit a Liberal Democracy's warlike
response.  At the present time, Iran may be engaging in just such
provocative behavior.  We are having to decide whether we can risk
tolerating a Rogue State hostile to the West, resolved to "kill the
infidels," with nuclear weapons.  No one is talking about blowing up a
nation to save it.  That's nonsense.  Only rogue states present a danger to
the West and only Rogue States risk war with the U.S.

Then again you seem to be missing the nature of the Arab "Honor System."
Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, and a host of others saw the restraint
being exercised during the Clinton administration as cowardice.  Kill 241
Marines in Beirut?  No Arab-type revenge for Clinton.  Pull everyone out.
No doubt you approve of Clinton's action, but the Arabs saw that as a sign
of cowardice and were encouraged, the Militants among them, to even bolder
actions against the U.S.  A pacifistic response to Militant Islamic attacks
only worsened the situation.  Surely you can see that now.

But in regard to the basic issue, I asked if there were any pacifists who
had a plan to achieve world peace.  None indicated any such plan.  That
didn't surprise me because I'm convinced that pacifists have no such plan.
They have no plan that follows steps a, b, c, and leads up to world peace.
All they have is wishful thinking.  I then presented two writers who did
have plans leading to World Peace, Fukuyama and Barnett and asked the
hypothetical question, if these plans would lead to world peace would you
support them even if it meant warring with a few Rogue States from time to
time.  I got no straight answers: only comments twisting the works of
Fukuyama and Barnett.  Why anyone would do that escapes me.  I have read
Fukuyama and Barnett; so no one can make up stories about what they say and
expect me to be convinced.  Why would a pacifist feel a need to lie about
what Fukuyama and Barnett say?  Can it be that they don't really want to
engage in the hard-work of a process that might actually lead to world
peace?  Do they prefer the nebulous but comforting dream to the concreteness
of reality?

Lawrence