[lit-ideas] Re: On the prospect of World Peace

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 17:57:43 -0400

RP: I see absolutely no reason why at some specific point in history there should be no wars or rumors of wars anywhere on the planet.

EY: We were imagining the conditions which might give rise to a stable, warless world. I could imagine some Master Oppressor forcing a warless world on us, and could not imagine a warless world arising without supreme coercion of some kind. It would be interesting to read your take on that.

RP: 'Something essential to the human spirit' has a nice Homeric ring to it, but one might hope for at least one example of what this essential something is.

The sense of a lawless frontier, free from the peace-enforcing Master Oppressor, a place to hide from all that peace, for one thing. Also the degree of homogeneity and uniformity that would result from the Master Oppressor's World Government would require the removal of those aspects of culture that create stress and conflict--and these stressors could be as simple as which side of the soft-boiled egg one opens. Something would be lost if we only were allowed to open the short end.