[lit-ideas] Re: Michael Moore at Cannes: Palme d'Or Best Film

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 26 May 2004 12:29:04 PDT

I was disappointed that the url that John provided did not describe the details
of the 2002 experiment done for the BBC, but says only that its results were
different from Zimbardo's, and hints that theyalso differed from Milgram's
(although the designs of these two experiments were quite different).

I've been told often (in fact, I was told just last week) that the Milgram
experiments could never be repeated in a university setting today, because of
the rules and guidelines governing experiments on human subjects which have
developed since then. In Milgram, it was those who administered the 'shocks' who
suffered. Many of them suffered flashbacks, nightmares, depression, and feelings
of rage for _years_ after they had been debriefed.

I've been told that 'no college or university could even try to duplicate'
Migram or Zimbaro today. So, it would be interesting to know who did the
experiment for the BBC, and what it consisted in. I'd be grateful for any leads
here.

Robert Paul
Reed College