[lit-ideas] Re: Media violence

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:47:10 -0400

The older I get, the more I am dumbfounded how little of their own
history many Americans know. (Actually, I'm not sure that Canadians are
much better at this, but it doesn't matter as much because they don't
sit astride the future in the way that America does.)   In particular, I
wish more Americans understood how much the birth of the US depended on
terrorists.   When I was in school in Chicago, we were taught that the
Sons of Freedom and the Minutemen were brave and colourful heroes who
stood up for their right not to be taxed (who wouldn't identify with
that?).   They participated in colourful pranks such as the Boston Tea
Party and pushed their Loyalist neighbours to line up on the right side
with equally cute pranks such as tarring and feathering them and riding
them out of town on rails.   It's only when you begin to see this story
from the other side that you read about how terrible these two
punishments were and how they were the tip of the terrorist iceberg.
Because of their cute names, these punishments were deemed acceptable
even for children's books.  Arson and theft and rape and murder were
just never mentioned.    From the Canadian side, the Loyalists were the
good guys and the Sons of Freedom were undisciplined, ungrateful and
dangerous louts.  We should compare political cartoons from the time....