[lit-ideas] Re: Michael Moore at Cannes: Palme d'Or Best Film

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:26:32 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 22, 2004 10:33 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Michael Moore at Cannes: Palme d'Or Best Film

The U.S. Army is remarkably effective, remarkably humane, and remarkably
thoughtful. I was surprised by this when I was in it, and I have been
surprised by this many times since.  But right now, the U.S. Army only
has people in it who want to be in the Army. To my mind this is a
weakness, not a strength. "Groupthink" happens in any organization, and
when it happens in an organization whose purpose is to use lethal force,
you can get horrible consequences from trivial decisions.  But there
will always be stupid people at all levels. The U.S. Army must take that
into account when it plans on how to fight wars. They are remarkably
good at this too; they do know how to deal with fixing problems.

A.A.  Your points are well taken.  Still, there would be no groupthink if
people were innately inclined toward good.   Groupthink brings to life the
adage "in unity there is strength".   Strength to do what?  It's like giving
people alcohol and watching the inhibitions go down.  Rarely do the reduced
inhibitions reveal an impulse to help a little old lady cross the street.  I
think it doesn't take much to bring out the worst in people, but it takes a
constant effort, as in application of laws, to keep the worst down.

Andy Amago