[lit-ideas] Re: Israel's Invasion Pretext Under Fire

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:10:46 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stan Spiegel <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In your commentary on the Israeli response, I only
> see you've called israel
> immoral and self-destructive. Does that mean you
> think -- like Omar -- that
> Israel should have let the bastards do what they
> will without lifting a
> finger?

*Omar didn't say that Israel shouldn't have lifted the
finger. Assuming that the Israeli story that the
Hizbollah attacked a military unit patrolling in the
vicinity of the border was true (though this remains
to be checked), a proportionate and justified response
would have been to attack a Hizbollah military unit in
the vicinity of the border, or possibly to bomb a
Hizbollah base. Israel convinced itself that it has a
high moral ground - a cross-border provocation
suddenly somehow outweighed years of Israel's
occupation of Lebanon, the killings of thousands of
civilians in Sabra and Shatilla and such places and so
on - and that it could do anything it wanted in
response. So it set itself the preposterous goal of
destroying the Hizbollah, possibly the largest
political organization in Lebanon. The results are
obvious, Israel is losing on the moral plane and it's
not doing that great on the military plane either.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com