[lit-ideas] Re: Is it just me? (Ain't we got fun)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:35:19 -0800

For over two weeks now, David Ritchie and I have been quietly freezing our metaphors off, struggling through three-inch snow drifts, and drinking the last of the port, while nibbling the last of the walnuts. Now, Paul Stone assures us that -7 C is balmy (although he may have said barmy). But that's still cold for the Willamette Valley. The coldest it got was -8. Seattle, too, has been cold and chaotic for a fortnight, and they've had quite a bit more snow.

In the last couple of days there have been numerous sledding accidents, two fatal, and enough fenders have been bent to create a shortage of psychotherapists. A young man died when he fell through the ice in a pond in Washington. Snow and ice makes people crazy here, sometimes with sad results.

Today, though, it's warmed up to ca. 4 C., and there is an air stagnation advisory. I may even take the car out. It's not the snow I'm afraid of--it's my fellow citizens.

Robert Paul
watching it melt,
somewhere south of Reed College