[lit-ideas] Re: Is it just me? (Ain't we got fun)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:24:27 EST

I like "nanoklevin".  As in, "I'll be there in a nanoklevin", as  opposed to
"I'll be there in a split second".  (In a sec., In two shakes of  a lamb's
tail, ASAP.....)

Always looking for new ways to use words (or am I simply Humpty Dumpty  (whom
my Minnesota-raised husband pronounces "Humpity Dumpity", always garnering  a
giggle from me.)

Julie Krueger
(looking up interferometry now)

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Is it just me?
(Ain't we got fun)  Date: 1/19/2007 12:39:05 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
>>The Official Canadian Temperature  Conversion Chart

This from MIT, about three years ago:

MIT team  achieves coldest temperature ever

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- MIT scientists have  cooled a sodium gas to the
lowest temperature ever recorded -- only  half-a-billionth of a degree
above absolute zero. The work, to be reported  in the Sept. 12 issue of
Science, bests the previous record by a factor of  six, and is the first
time that a gas was cooled below 1 nanokelvin  (one-billionth of a degree).

"To go below one nanokelvin is a little like  running a mile under four
minutes for the first time," said Nobel laureate  Wolfgang Ketterle,
co-leader of the team. Ketterle is MIT's John D.  MacArthur Professor of
Physics.

"Ultra-low temperature gases could  lead to vast improvements in
precision measurements by allowing better  atomic clocks and sensors for
gravity and rotation," said David E.  Pritchard, a pioneer in atom optics
and atom interferometry and co-leader of  the MIT group. He is the Cecil
and Ida B. Green Professor of  Physics.