[lit-ideas] Re: Homeland Security

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:01:14 -0400

>In a typical year, influenza is responsible for an average of 36,000
>deaths (primarily in the elderly) and 200,000 hospitalizations in the
>United States. Children have the highest rates of influenza infection
>of any age group during the flu season and are important disseminators
>of the influenza virus into communities. According to the Centers for
>Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 152 children younger than 18
>years of age died in the United States from influenza and its
>complications during the 2003-2004 flu season. Seventy-one percent of
>these children had no high-risk medical conditions,

This means that 108 'normal' children under 18 died of the flu.

Let's put it in another way: Even if there were only 10 million {a figure
MUCH lower than reality} people in the US under the age of 18 and 108 died
of the flu, that would mean your risk of dying from the flu is 0.00001.
That is 1 THOUSANDTH of a percent.

IN one year:

 >600 die from SBS (Shaken Baby Syndrome)
thousands of children die in car accidents
a hundred (small children) choke to death

None of these are 'pandemic'

At least 108 people under the age of 18 surely died of a bunch of other
much more "preventable" causes. This outcry over flu shots is ridiculous.
It hurts me to say it: Bush had it right when he gave his response. There's
a very simple solution -- if you AREN'T "at risk" then don't get a shot.
The irony is that paranoid high-risk people are putting themselves in grave
danger waiting in lines, sometimes dying and probably sometimes GETTING THE
FLU, because they've once again been whipped into a fear frenzy over a
little bug.

Of course elderly, infirm, immune-depressed and the young should be first
on the list. This is a no-brainer.

In the mean time, if you are otherwise healthy here's a simple strategy for
greatly increasing your probability of avoiding the flu.

Don't go anywhere where you know someone has the flu.
If you go out to eat, don't handle money and then eat without washing your
hands -- especially if the person who serves you is sniffling.
If you feel sick, see a doctor, get rest, and eat well. If not, don't worry
about it. Even if you get the flu, you probably won't die from it.
IF you DO die, well, then that's the breaks. Nothing is a guarantee.

feeling monstrous,

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx