[lit-ideas] Re: Homeland Security

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:50:13 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Oct 20, 2004 9:49 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Homeland Security

Voila--Christian Science is the answer. You pray, eat well, exercise, etc.,
and if you don't get well, it's the will of God. Ditto for breech births,
btw. No medical intervention required, or rather, allowed, so no cesareans.
And no antibiotics, of course. Oddly, Christian Scientists aren't among
Bush's hallalujah "base."  Not so surprisingly, the sect is dying out, but
they still put out a good newspaper. Its coverage of medical science is
predictably weak.
ck

A.A.  Just for the record, I'm not a Christian Scientist.  I'm barely even a
Christian.  Raised Catholic but I gave it up years ago.  I do believe that if
the body gets what it needs (food it was designed to eat, in quantities it was
designed to eat, exercise, seatbelts, and so on), good health will most likely
follow.  The pendulum has swung to genes as a cause of disease (cancer, even
osteoarthritis).  Those cases are relatively in the minority and certainly in
those instances professional care is indicated.  A friend of mine was in his
30's when he himself found a lump in his neck.  It turned out to be malignant,
was surgically removed and he's been fine for years now.  Two other people I
know developed kidney tumors.  They were also treated, one nearly 20 years ago
and the other about 3 years ago.  The man from 3 years ago is chubby, loves his
donuts.  Overweight (see diet mentioned above) is a risk factor for just about
everything, even surviving a car accident.

Andy Amago