[lit-ideas] Re: Global warming claims tropical island

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:48:06 -0500 (EST)

Except that virtually nobody is exploiting global warming, or even talking
about it, except me, and trust me, I'm not making any money on this.  I'm sure
percentage wise to the population, I out of this whole group who believes in GW
is far higher than the percentage out of the entire American world population
who believes in it or even knows about it.  Tony Blair believes in it, I don't
know what he has to gain from it.

Also, GW makes very poor entertainment, if one goes by the returns Gore's movie
got.  No Academy Awards for him.

The bird flu depends on what the virus decides to do.  Maybe tomorrow, maybe 50
years from now, maybe never.  It's a virus.  We know it did happen and that it
could happen, and what the virus has to do to make it happen, that's all.
Likewise the Bubonic Plague bacterium happened, wiped out half of Europe.  But
the difference between the bird flu and GW is that GW is not something that
could happen.  It is happening, it's in progress, and it's a lot more
complicated than one virus.

Regarding that we don't have the technology to clean the air, even if that's
true, there are at this very moment plans to put a space station on the moon.
Bush announced it in 2004.  It's going to be small of course, maybe the size of
a house trailer, but they're going to extract the elements out of the surface
of the moon to make air and water so it's self-sustaining.  The machine to do
that is the size of an office desk.  We have that kind of technology but we
can't figure out an alternative fuel source besides oil?  Likewise they're
digging miles beneath the ocean for oil in the Gulf of Mexico, but they can't
extract heat out of the earth to warm houses?  Digging miles beneath the ocean
with all the attendant earthquakes and hurricanes that threaten spilling oil,
not to mention as the pipelines and hardware begin to show wear and tear, like
in Alaska, they could empty into the ocean and do further massive pollution.
There's no will so there's no way.

No snow on the mountain tops in the UK, eh?  Interesting.  Lots of Alaska is
now unfrozen as well.  Never mind, it's just hysteria.

Regarding the moon space station, it's just practice for the real target, which
is Mars.  The moon is a three day trip; Mars is three years.  I'm sure the
intent is pure science, but given that NASA's information supports GW, I have
to wonder if in the back of the scientists' minds there's not a glimmer of
looking for another planet because earth is not a given anymore.  Sounds too
weird, I know, but I remember way back when Carl Sagan in Cosmos commented on
the possibility that we humans could destroy our blue green world, possibly the
only place like it in the entire universe, and I thought, that's just science
fiction, Carl.  Well, seems Carl was more prescient than anyone knew, or I
guess even still knows.  Unfortunately for humans and fortunately for whatever
planet is or isn't out there, we're adapted only for life on Earth so they're
safe out there for now.